Wednesday, March 2, 2011

THE COLORS, MAN!

       I've really never run into something like Warbreaker before. While I usually go for the fantasy sci fi, this one was more medieval than what I usually go for. Since it was so long, I kept thinking I'd only get half way but then I just had to know what was going to happen and I finished it. The concept of color was absolutely brilliant.

        I thought it was interesting how it was all tied to religion. I think color was also related to the whole Adam and Eve story. Once you bit into the apple, or had multiple Breaths in this case and were able to do Awakening, there was no going back. Vivenna couldn't return to her original life without color. Usually I don't like an abundance of religion driving a story because I seem to think that it bogs down the story too much. But in this case I think it worked. It really brought a change in Vivenna in particular. I liked watching the sisters change. It seemed that throughout the book, they switched roles. I don't think that it could be done any other way. If Vivenna had been in Siri's place, the book would've ended up completely differently. Siri adopted Vivenna's style of being logical and tactful while Vivenna learned to let go and step outside of her box.

        I loved the bait and switch regarding Tonk Fah and Denth. I was totally under the impression they were good people. I loved their little sarcastic witty banter throughout the chapters. At first I thought Tonk Fah's disappearing animals were because his animal was like a daemon or something from Golden Compass and then it was like no he just murders them and I was like WHAT. I think a little more time needed to be spent when Vivenna realized that she was tricked. I seriously had to read the scene when she found out Palin was dead like three times just to make sure I was understanding what was happening. This happened again at the end when Vasher's true nature was revealed, I was sort of left spinning. There seemed like there wasn't enough time to recover from that much information. And then it just ended and I was really surprised I mean the story led up to this war the entire time and then it was over so quickly I felt like the ends were tied up but it was like everything was crammed together like a train wreck.

        At the same time, there were parts that were way too drawn out. We were constantly brought back to things Lightsong's moaning. I kept waiting for the war to happen, I think it just took way to much to build up to. 500 pages in I was thinking to myself, they're still not fighting yet? There was just so long that it could be delayed before it got ridiculous. And I think it got a little ridiculous. There was a lot of backstory and it did get a bit complicated especially that seriously huge monolith of a paragraph the storyteller explained about the history of Hallandren. It was more like copy-paste entire construction of the universe and it kind of left the reader reeling. Too much information.       


ALL THE COLORS

No comments:

Post a Comment