Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Haunted Vagina

        This book was a really interesting change of pace. The story itself was kind of the most ridiculous combination of things ever imaginable. You'd have to be drunk and high and hallucinating to think of the plot: a man taking a literal journey into a woman's vagina. And I just had to read it because I'd never read anything like that before, it sounded like fun. I tend to write highly imaginative stories, not usually about such a subject matter, so this was right up my alley.
       I didn't really take this book that seriously. It seems more to be something written for fun than as something to be taken literally. The book itself was driven mostly by lust and sex, so I think it was more of a physical drive that led the plot rather than any kind of psychological or deep messages about humankind. Well, I mean some people are just driven by sex. It was more of the obsessive love. I sort of felt like Steve would fall in love with anything cute or anything that was of the opposite sex if he was left around them too long. The character development on Stacey and Steve was well done. You only have about 100 pages in this book, but I felt like I really knew them. Mellick used really precise details to describe them like the way Stacey ate her food and “calls water pouring from faucets waterfalls”. You could tell their relationship was a bit lopsided, Steve would do anything for her. I mean this guy went into this woman's vagina even after a skeleton came out of it, that is dedication, man. Dedication. I felt like Stacey was just using him for sex and to be her man pillow.
        I think it could be a little better if Mellick gave it a few more pages, it sort of ended really quickly. After Stacey got pregnant there were about five pages that basically summed up that Steve fell in love with Fig and got her pregnant and they lived happily ever after. I thought it was a little quick considering the bulk of the story was situated in the real world surrounding Stacey and Steve's relationship. And when that skeleton came out of Steve's back, I was freaking out. If my skeleton came out of my body, I would've flipped out. I felt like he didn't really have a reaction other then, well there goes my skeleton. He seemed to be quite zen with having to stay there forever and never once had a huge emotional reaction other than figuring he was stuck there.
        It wouldn't have hurt to put some more detail into the backstory of Stacey's vagina world. I know Steve hinted that it was possibly part of some genetic disease or some sort of defect that was handed down, but I kind of wished we found out some sort of nailed down truth about it since that was kind of what the whole story was pivoting on. We were left guessing what the real reason was.

No comments:

Post a Comment